Teen Withdraws Lawsuit Against Meta, Google and Snap Ahead of Trial - Inspirepreneur Magazine

Teen Withdraws Lawsuit Against Meta, Google and Snap Ahead of Trial

Aug 21, 2026 3:24 PM IST
Category Social Media

Synopsis

A US teenager has withdrawn claims against Meta, Google and Snap alleging their platforms contributed to social media addiction, depression and self-harm, removing one of three bellwether cases.

One of three social media addiction lawsuits brought by a 15 year old New Jersey girl against Meta, Google and Snap was dropped in California ahead of an October trial.

Instagram, YouTube and Snapchat caused mental health issues and social media addiction said the teen plaintiff who brought the action that is part of over 3300 personal-injury cases nationwide that allege social media caused damage to young people.

The teen had settled her social media addiction claims against TikTok before initiating the current lawsuits and her lawyers said their client had moved on from the ordeal and the companies made no payment in respect of the withdrawals.

01
Chapter one

Two October Cases Remain 

Two October Cases still to be decided are separate from the withdrawn action but connected to the larger social media addiction litigation in which allegations include that the platforms were designed to encourage overuse among young people and continue to do so.

The latest in a series of big US lawsuits against Meta comes as it faces a federal trial in the United States over allegations of deceptive marketing to children in violation of federal consumer protection laws by Facebook and Instagram which have been denied by the defendant.

02
Chapter two

Australia Tightens Youth-Safety Rules 

Australia has introduced tougher age and safety requirements for social media sites as the jurisdiction continues to grapple with the fallout from the social media addiction case.

New restrictions on under-16s which take full effect today December 10, 2025, apply to all the big five social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok and YouTube.

The Australian government is considering the penalty regime for systematic breaches of the new rules, said the eSafety Commissioner reviewing five of the biggest social media firms for possible contraventions, after proposals to remove the A$1.1 million cap on penalties for systemic breaches were made official.

A recent Australian data privacy survey highlights difficulties in enforcing the new restrictions as it emerged that in early 2025 80 per cent of underage users remained on the platforms, according to companies appearing before a Senate committee, while the eSafety Commissioner acknowledged that enforcement was a work in progress.

When the restrictions took effect in the US Meta closed 756,000 accounts for users under the age of 13 while YouTube closed 740,000 and TikTok 550,000 accounts.

The social media addiction case was filed as a class action lawsuit along with hundreds of other similar proceedings that are ongoing in the United States while the latest financial results from Meta show the company set to report revenues of 49.5 million to A2.40 billion in the second quarter of 2026 with legal proceedings costs of $60.80 billion, including $ billion in the period.

Source: Reuters

Pooja Malik
Written by Pooja Malik

Pooja Malik is a business journalist with over six years of experience covering startups, entrepreneurship, and emerging trends. She has previously worked with leading media platforms such as YourStory Media and BW BusinessWorld, where she reported on business, policy, and market developments. Currently, she serves as Editor at The Inspirepreneur Magazine, where she writes and edits stories across business, lifestyle, and travel, with a focus on clarity, accuracy, and reader relevance.