Prince Andrew Released After Arrest Over Epstein Ties
Synopsis
King Charles’s younger brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday on charges that he gave confidential government papers to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein during his tenure as a British trade envoy. He was interviewed over the course of the day and was released under investigation that evening. King Charles publicly supported the police and said that the law had to take its course. The arrest is believed to be the first of a senior British royal in modern times, and it follows up on several other investigations linked to Andrew’s links with Epstein.
Prince Andrew arrested and taken into custody by police for allegedly passing secret government documents to paedophile Jeffrey Epstein’ for a Chris Tarrant-style new quiz show. He was released the same day but remains under investigation.
Key Highlights
- Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the accused was put in custody after being accused of leaking sensitive government documents to Jeffrey Epstein.
- He was held on suspicion of attempted murder and questioned throughout the day before being released under investigation late Thursday.
- King Charles issued a public statement supporting the investigation and explained that the law must be enforced.
- The arrest is believed to be the first of a senior British royal in recent history.
A Day Unlike Any Other for the Royal Family
By Thursday, it was a deeply painful day for the British royal family. Prince Andrew was detained in an early-morning raid at his home on the Sandringham estate in eastern England. Six unmarked police cars and about eight uniformed officers attended the property in the morning. Police also raided a mansion on the Windsor estate where Andrew had once lived.
He was arrested by detectives from Thames Valley Police and questioned throughout the day. A little after 7 p.m., he emerged from a police station in Aylsham, in the east of England, appearing visibly shaken as he was driven away by car amid a throng of journalists and camera crews. Police confirmed that he had been released under investigation, which means the case is still open but no charges have been brought at this time.
What Andrew Is Accused of Doing
The bribery allegations at the heart of this enquiry date back to 2010, when Andrew was Britain’s Special Representative for Trade and Investment, effectively a top government functionary for flogging British business overseas. The US government found documents that indicate he sent reports on his official visits to countries such as Vietnam and Singapore at that time straight to Jeffrey Epstein, the convicted sex offender who was later found dead in a US jail in 2019.
In Britain, handing over confidential government information to someone outside the government is a serious offence known as misconduct in public office. It is one of the most serious offences in the British legal system and, if found guilty, carries a maximum life sentence. Andrew has always denied any impropriety related to Epstein, but he acknowledged their friendship and said he regretted it. His office did not respond to requests for comment after the arrest.
The King’s Response, Plus the Larger Picture
King Charles said he was informed with deep concern of the arrest but made his position clear, in a public statement, that the royal family would offer the investigation its full and unqualified support. It had to, he said, and while it did, he and the rest of the family would get on with their work. Buckingham Palace said it had not been given advance notice of the arrest.
It’s not the only serious problem Andrew has. A second group of allegations, made by an anti-monarchy campaign organisation, alleges he helped to bring a woman to Britain for improper use in 2010. The police say they are also investigating that claim. In 2022, Andrew reached a settlement with Giuffre in the United States, where she had filed a civil case against him accusing him of sexually abusing her as a teenager on Epstein-connected properties. Giuffre killed herself last year, and her family issued a statement on Thursday declaring that no one is above the law, not even ones with royal blood. US President Donald Trump described the situation as ‘very sad’ and suggested it was bad for the royal family.
Follow Inspirepreneur Magazine for the breaking news.
At Inspirepreneurs Magazine, covering entrepreneurship, business failures, and the human stories behind the world's most ambitious founders. She writes at the intersection of strategy and storytelling.